A lot of homeowners find themselves yearning to learn how to paint exterior doors when they are upgrading their homes. Painting the exterior of your home, not just your door, can provide you with a long list of benefits to take advantage of. You can increase the curb appeal of your home and its overall value simply by painting the exterior with a new color or fresh coat of paint. When painting the exterior of your home, you need to be sure to tape off the trim of the doors and windows. By taping the trim, you will prevent yourself from accidentally painting over it. Applying simple carpenter tape over your window sills and door trims can save you a lot of trouble while you paint your exterior.
Tips to Follow When Painting Your Outside Doors
When painting your exterior doors, you should consider the following tips:
- Consider removing the door completely from the hinges before you start painting. By taking the door off of the hinges, it will be easier to access while painting hard-to-reach areas.
- If you do not remove the door from the hinges, you will need to apply tape to the frame and trim to prevent paint from getting on them. As mentioned before, carpenter tape will suffice.
- Before you start painting the door, you will need to clean it with a gentle cleanser and hot water. Once you have cleaned the door, you should sand it down with sandpaper until it is smooth. Clean the door again after you have finished the sanding process.
- Use wood filler to fill in any holes or cracks in the door. This can help provide a smooth finish that is easy on the eyes. Bondo filler can also be used on doors that are not made of wood. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions when using filler on your exterior door. Make sure the filler is dry before you start painting the door.
- Cover every surface that you do not want to get painted on with tape. You should cover the hinges, hardware, and frame with tape so that no paint will get on them. If you take the door off of the hinges and remove the hardware, you do not have to worry about taping up the area.
- Be sure to apply at least two coats of paint to your exterior doors to ensure a solid finish that is beautiful and flawless.
- Be sure that you give the door adequate time to dry. Touching the door too soon could ruin a perfectly good paint job.
- If you want to, add a third coat of paint after the original two coats dry. Adding the third coat of paint can ensure that your door looks brand new when you are finished.
Benefits of Painting Your Exterior Doors
Learning how to paint exterior doors can save you money by avoiding the services of a professional painter. The process of painting exterior doors can be easy to learn because it is a simple task. If you do not already know how to paint exterior front doors, you should consider the tips that have been mentioned here. These small tips can make a big difference in the final results that you achieve.
Ask for Help
Do not be afraid to ask friends and family members for tips on how to paint exterior doors. They can give you free advice that will make the process go more smoothly. You might even snag the help of your friends and family during the painting process. An extra pair of hands is always appreciated when work needs to be done. Contact WindowTech Windows and Doors to learn more details.