Is there are a certain room or set of rooms in your home that always feel dark and dreary? Have you tried adding more artificial lighting to brighten them up with little to no success? We have gathered some helpful tips from professionals to help make a dark room look brighter.
Continue reading for helpful tricks on how to make any room of your Toronto area home look warmer and more welcoming. Tips on everything, from maximizing your space to window replacement Toronto, we have it all!
How to Make a Dark Room Look Brighter: 4 Tricks of the Trade
The following tips are from expert interior designs on how to save space and make a dark room look brighter.
Less Is More
There is something to be said for minimalist living. The less clutter you have in a darker room, the lighter and airier it will feel. Stick to a focal piece of artwork instead of tons of pictures covering every inch of your wall space. Go wireless on such items as lamps, computers, and televisions. You will find that you feel more relaxed and at peace, once you de-clutter a dark room.
If you strategically place mirrors in a smaller room, it can create an illusion that the room is much bigger. In addition, it can reflect natural light from your existing windows to really brighten up the room. A large wall mirror is the best way to go to open up a room.
Light Color Wall Paint
While darker colors, such as garnet, navy blue, and jade green, are popular paint colors, they tend to make a room look smaller and darker. Lighter paint colors can do a lot to open up any room of your home and make it appear brighter and more spacious.
Pro Tip: paint the trim slightly brighter than the wall or the same color to add more height and depth to the room.
Utilize Space-Saving Furniture/Storage
Here are some storage/furnishing tips to brighten up a darkroom in your home.
- Utilize under-the-bed storage units to free up spaces in the bedroom.
- Built-in storage units will add space to any room in your home.
- Avoid oversized and clunky furniture pieces.
- Low-lying furniture can open up a room as well as add more natural light.
- Strategically placed shelving can add space to almost any room and provide additional storage.
How to Make a Dark Room Look Brighter: Windows/Natural Light
Benefits of Natural Light
- Natural light helps you stay on a regular sleep schedule. You will feel more energized during the day due to the increased sunlight and more relaxed when the room is darker at night.
- Natural light can help to reduce depression and anxiety levels. Sunlight has been scientifically proven to increase serotonin levels in the human brain, which can help ease the effects of anxiety and depression.
- Sunlight assists in providing the body with its daily-required dose of Vitamin D. In addition to being a part of our diet; Vitamin D is also absorbed through the skin, so natural light can be beneficial to your health, as Vitamin D is necessary for the immune system.
- Natural light can increase energy and productivity levels. In the same way, natural light helps regulate your sleep schedule. It can also raise productivity and energy levels to accomplish more during daytime hours.
Here are some tips on how to use your windows to brighten up a dark room.
- Bow and bay, architectural style, or picture windows are ideal for opening up a room. They also allow for natural light to fill in your home more.
- Sunlight naturally creates an illusion that the room is bigger. Moreover, it saves energy costs, as you will not have to rely on artificial lighting.
Call WindowTech Windows and Doors for more advice on how to make a dark room look brighter. We can help you choose the right windows to lighten up any room in your home!