No one likes to clean windows. But in reality, cleaning windows is not a daunting task. If you regularly clean the windows in your home, they will not need window replacement for many years. However, not everyone knows how to clean windows properly.
Maintaining your windows and doors Toronto can help extend their lifetime. Replacing doors and windows costs a lot of money. Today’s windows are designed to be highly durable and energy-efficient. And with a little time and effort, you can ensure that your windows will last for a long time. Read the following blog to find out how to properly clean the windows in your home.
How to Clean Windows
One of the first things you need to know about how to clean glass window panes is what to use. Of course, you can invest in quality products that are safe for the environment, pets, and children as well as your windows. However, you can save money by making your own glass cleaner.
Recipe for Eco-Friendly Homemade Window and Glass Cleaner
Mix 2 cups of water with ½ cup of distilled white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar) and a few drops of liquid dish detergent (Blue Dawn Dish Detergent is ideal). Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and label it properly for safety. This spay can also be used to clean countertops, sinks, and other surfaces of your home.
- Glass cleaner (see above)
- Microfibre cloth, squeegee, or sponge
- Towels to project inside surfaces, such as floors
*Bonus tip: It is advisable to clean your windows on a foggy day to prevent sunlight from causing a glare on your windows
Cleaning the Window Glass
- Spray the window solution on the window glass (or if you are using a bucket, dip your cloth in the solution).
- Using a circular motion, clean the glass surface of the windows.
- Use a clean microfiber cloth or squeegee to wipe away any remaining residue.
- Allow the window to air dry to prevent streaks or use newspaper to dry immediately, as this is the best way to prevent streaks on glass surfaces.
Cleaning the Window Hardware
- Using a mild cleaner and soft cloth, clean all the hardware including the locks, hinges, tracks, gears, and so forth.
- Rinse with warm water thoroughly.
- Gently dry with a clean dry microfiber cloth.
Cleaning the Window Screen
- Gently vacuum the window screen using a vacuum cleaner attachment or hand-held vacuum.
- Remove the screen. In a large sink (bathtub or shower will work as well), use warm water and mild soap to clean the window screen. Allow it to dry completely before putting it back in place.
Cleaning Your Window Frames
- Using a mild spray cleaner or mild soap and warm water, wipe away any dirt, dust, leaves, dead insects, and other debris from your window frames.
- Use a soft brush to remove any remaining residue.
- A mildly abrasive cleaner may be used on stubborn areas. However, do not use harsh solvents or chemicals, as these will permanently damage the window frame.
Some people may opt to have such windows as pictures or hard-to-reach ones professionally cleaned. Also, they may opt to pay a professional cleaning service to clean the outside of their windows too. This is understandable, as many people do not wish to climb on ladders to clean their windows.
When the time to replace your windows comes, consider tilt and turn style windows, as these are easy to clean from inside the home. As they tilt inward, you will be able to easily and safely clean both sides of the window glass.
However, this handy guide on how to clean windows will help save you time and money in the future! You will find that cleaning your own windows is both easy and convenient!
Contact WindowTech Windows and Doors should you have any questions on window cleaning techniques. We can offer you advice on how to clean and maintain your windows and doors. Give us a call when you are ready for a wide replacement for a free quote and consultation in the privacy of your home.