When the time to replace the exterior doors on your home comes, you might be faced with the dilemma as to which is more practical: garden doors or sliding patio doors? Both of these doors have their advantages. Of course, you want to factor in such items as home security, energy efficiency, and functionally when you are choosing replacement exterior doors for your Toronto area home.
Most windows companies in Canada offer a large selection of entry doors Toronto including garden and patio doors as well as vinyl, fiberglass, steel, or wood exterior doors for your home. As a homeowner, you must decide what style of entry doors will best suit your outdoor space: garden or patio doors. We shall discuss the advantages of both styles of entry doors in the following article.
Patio vs. Garden Doors: Which Is Better?
Following we will provide you with the benefits of both garden patio and sliding patio doors to help you make the right decision on entry door replacement.
Benefits of Patio Doors
- Doors provide more physical space
Doors open outward into your outdoor space, so they might run interference with your deck, patio, or another outdoor area. On the other hand, patio doors slide open, so they save a great deal of space. Patio doors make it easier to move such items as party supplies or furniture in and out of your home, as they have a wider opening and are also easy to open and close.
- Doors are outstanding when it comes to home security
Doors only have one locking mechanism whereas patio doors have multiple locking points including kick locks or security bars to give homeowners added home protection in the event of a break-in.
- Doors are highly energy efficient.
Doors are typically made of steel or wood and, therefore, do not have the option for double or triple pane windows as do patio doors. Triple and double pane vinyl patio doors are extremely energy efficient, as they can be filled with inert gases and coated with Low-E coatings to help prevent heat loss and lower your energy bills.
- Doors are an excellent source of natural light.
Doors are great for privacy, as they have limited space for glass inserts. However, they do not provide an unlimited amount of natural light as do patio doors. Sliding doors not only fill your home with natural light but also allow for a completely unobstructed view of your gorgeous backyard space.
- Doors are the preferred choice for those who want contemporary or modern style entry doors.
Benefits of Garden Doors
- There is a great choice for pet owners, as they have the ability to install a doggie door for your furry friends.
- If you prefer doors over the patio, you have the option to install doors to make it easier to move larger items in and out of your home.
- Doors are ideal for traditional or older homes that prefer a more rustic look.
- Doors have a sleek and polished look, which can increase the resale value of your home.
- Doors provide more style options than patio doors, which gives you more leeway when it comes to custom-designed features for your exterior doors.
Still not sure whether garden doors or sliding patio doors are a better choice for your home? Give us a call at WindowTech Windows and Doors. We can meet with you in the privacy of your home to assess the situation along with a free quote for replacement exterior doors. Call us today to set up the time for an in-home consultation.